Markham, East (St. John the Baptist)
MARKHAM, EAST (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of East Retford, South Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 1½ mile (N.) from Tuxford; containing 771 inhabitants. This parish, consisting of 2700 acres, comprised a wide tract of moorland, which was inclosed in 1811; the soil is generally a fertile clay. The village is situated on an acclivity, and is large and well built. The living is a vicarage, with the rectory of West Drayton annexed, valued in the king's books at £11. 18. 11½.; net income, £334; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Newcastle: the tithes were commuted for land in 1810. The church is a large structure, with a lofty embattled tower, and contains several ancient monuments to the Markham, Cressy, and other families. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.