MARKET-STREET, a chapelry, in the parishes of Caddington, Flamstead, and Studham, partly in the hundred of Dacorum, county of Hertford, and partly in that of Manshead, county of Bedford, 3½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Luton. The ancient name of Merkgate, or Mark-gate, of which the present is a corruption, appears to have been derived from Merk, a boundary, and Yate, or Gate; the place having formerly been the end of the inclosed country, where it is supposed there was a gate on the high road or Watling-street. On a hill in the vicinity, now occupied by an ancient mansion, stood a nunnery of the Benedictine order, dedicated to the Holy Trinity; it was founded about 1145, principally by Geoffrey, abbot of St. Alban's, on land given by the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, and at the Dissolution had a revenue of £143. 13. 8. The village is on the road from London to Birmingham, and consists of one long street: the manufacture of hats and bonnets of straw-plat is somewhat considerable; and a fair is held about Michaelmas. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £227; patron, D. Goodson Adey, Esq. The chapel, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and situated in Cell or Priory Park, was erected about a century since, in lieu of one at the manor-house, which had been burnt down. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans.