Marham-Cherry (Holy Trinity)
MARHAM-CHERRY (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Downham, hundred of Clackclose, W. division of Norfolk, 8 miles (N. E.) from Downham; containing 817 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3966a. 3r. 24p., of which 2529 acres are arable, 1169 pasture and meadow, 74 woodland, and about 200 fen allotted to the poor. It was anciently remarkable for the number of its cherry-trees, and subsequently for walnut-trees of stately growth. The river Nar intersects the parish on the north-west. Near the village are some chalk-pits, in which various fossils are found. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4.; patrons and impropriators, the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge. The great tithes have been commuted for £645. 15., and the vicarial for £371; the glebe comprises 28 acres, with a house, built in 1830 by the Rev. A. Browne. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower; under a canopy are the recumbent effigies of Sir John Steward and his lady. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans; also a national school, erected in 1841. A Cistercian nunnery, in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was founded here in 1251, by Isabella de Albini, Countess of Arundel; at the Dissolution it had a revenue of £42.