Margaret, St., at Cliffe
MARGARET, ST., at Cliffe, a parish, in the union of Dovor, hundred of Bewsborough, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 3½ miles (N. E.) from Dovor; containing 748 inhabitants. This parish received the adjunct to its name from its high situation on the chalk cliffs overlooking the English Channel. It comprises 1758 acres, of which 28 are waste land. In a small bay, where is a small wooden pier, or jetty, for protecting the fishing craft, some of the finest-flavoured lobsters in England are caught. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 10.; patron and appropriator, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for £380, and the vicarial for £105; the appropriator's glebe comprises 98 acres, and the vicar's 3 acres. The church is a spacious structure, in the Norman style.