Marcle, Much (St. Bartholomew)
MARCLE, MUCH (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the unions of Ledbury and Ross, hundred of Greytree, county of Hereford, 5 miles (S. W. by W.) from Ledbury; containing, with the township of Yatton, 1227 inhabitants, of whom 982 are in the township of Much Marcle. The parish is situated on the borders of Gloucestershire, and comprises 4662 acres of land; it is intersected by the road from Ledbury to Ross. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £14. 0. 5.; net income, £841; patron, the Rev. W. M. Kyrle. Some small tithes were commuted for land in 1795, and others have recently been commuted for a rent-charge of £333; the glebe altogether comprises 27 acres. The tithes belonging to the Bishop of Hereford have been settled for £430. The church is an ancient structure of great beauty, containing many interesting monuments.