Mappleton (All Saints)
MAPPLETON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Skirlaugh, N. division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 2½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Hornsea; containing, with the hamlet of Great Cowden, and part of the township of Great Hatfield, 414 inhabitants, of whom 198 are in the township of Mappleton with Rowlston. This place, anciently Mapleton, from abounding in maple-trees, was part of the possessions of Peter le Brus. The township is bounded on the east by the sea, and intersected by the road from Aldbrough to Hornsea; and comprises by computation 1946 acres, of which 250 are pasture, and the remainder arable. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £4. 13. 4.; net income, £58; patron, the Archdeacon of the East riding. The great tithes have been commuted for £418, and those of the incumbent for £29; the impropriate glebe consists of 133 acres, and the incumbent's of 5½ acres. A handsome glebe-house was erected in 1822, by the incumbent, at an expense of £1000. The church, situated on an elevation above the road, consists of a nave, north aisle, and chancel, with a square tower of three stages; also, on the north side, of a chapel long used as a burial place by the family of Brough, to several members of which there are monumental inscriptions. Marshal Brough, who presided as judge of the court of admiralty on the trial of Admiral Byng, was interred here. The dissenters have a place of worship.