Maplestead, Great (St. Giles)
MAPLESTEAD, GREAT (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Halstead, hundred of Hinckford, N. division of Essex, 2¼ miles (N. by W.) from Halstead; containing 452 inhabitants. This place is supposed to have derived its name from the number of maple-trees that formerly grew here. The parish is intersected by the river Colne, and comprises 1902a. 3r. 3p., of which 1440 acres are arable, 320 pasture, and 115 woodland and plantations; the soil is rich. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 3. 4.; patron, R. Myall, Esq.; impropriator, the Rev. J. Sperling. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £335, and the vicarial for £175; the impropriate glebe comprises 88 acres, and the vicarial one acre. The church is a small ancient edifice, with a square tower, and attached to the south side is a chapel belonging to the proprietor of Dynes Hall, and containing two costly monuments of the family of Deane.