Manton (St. Mary)
MANTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Oakham, hundred of Martinsley, county of Rutland, 3¼ miles (N. E.) from Uppingham; containing 272 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1150 acres, of which 150 only are arable, and the remainder pasture. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £73; patron and impropriator, E. W. Smyth, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land in 1772. A college or chantry was founded here in the 25th of Edward III., by William and John Wade, for a master and two brethren, whose revenue at the Dissolution was valued at £22. 18. 6.