Mangotsfield (St. James)
MANGOTSFIELD (St. James), a parish, in the union of Keynsham, hundred of Barton-Regis, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 5¼ miles (N. E. by E.) from Bristol; containing 3864 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2442a. 3r. 31p. of arable and pasture land in nearly equal parts, and 90 acres of common or waste. A considerable portion of the Kingswood mining district is included within the parish, and coal is found in abundance; there are also quarries of good paving-stone. The Gloucester and Bristol railway has a station here. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £136; patron, Thomas Wadham, Esq. In addition to the parochial church, a neat chapel of ease, dedicated to Our Saviour, was built at Downend in 1831, by subscription, aided by a grant of £1000 from the Incorporated Society; it is a handsome edifice in the later English style, and contains 1024 sittings, of which 770 are free. There are places of worship for Independents and other dissenters.