Mancetter (St. Peter)

MANCETTER (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Atherstone, Atherstone division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick; containing, with the town of Atherstone, and the hamlets of Hartshill and Oldbury, 5182 inhabitants, of whom 332 are in the township of Mancetter. The township consists of 1493 acres. The river Anker and the Coventry canal run through it, and roads to Hinckley and Nuneaton branch off here. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 13. 4.; net income, £229; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Benjamin Richings; impropriator, J. M. B. Pigott, Esq., M.D. The church occupies an eminence supposed to have been the site of a camp; it is a spacious and ancient structure of very picturesque appearance, and has a handsome eastern window of stained glass. Additional churches have been built at Atherstone and Hartshill. Half a mile east of the church was the Roman station styled by Antoninus Manduessedum, of an oblong form, with large ramparts inclosing an area of about seven acres, intersected by the Roman Watling-street; the north-western side, named Castle banks, is in Warwickshire, and the southeastern, called Oldfield banks, in Leicestershire. Oval flint axes, or celts, Roman bricks, coins of gold, silver, and brass, with various other relics of antiquity, have been found. In the village of Mancetter is an hospital, endowed with a bequest of £2000 from James Gramer, in 1724, for six poor men, now increased to eleven, who each receive 7s. per week: they are chosen from the poor of Mancetter and Atherstone, Mancetter having the prior claim. During the reign of Mary, Robert Glover and Mary Lewes, of this place, suffered martyrdom; the former at Coventry, and the latter at Lichfield. Tablets to their memory are erected in the church.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, published in 1848.

Navigation

Preface
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z