Mamble (St. John)
MAMBLE (St. John), a parish, in the union of Cleobury-Mortimer, Lower division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Hundred-House and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 6 miles (W. S. W.) from Bewdley; containing 377 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the west by a portion of Shropshire, and comprises by measurement 2658 acres; the substratum abounds with coal of good quality, of which several mines are in operation, and there are some quarries of inferior stone used for the roads. A railway extends from the collieries to the Leominster canal, which approaches within half a mile of the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Bayton united, valued in the king's books at £9. 4. 7., and in the patronage of the Crown; impropriator, Sir E. Blount, Bart.: the great tithes of the parish have been commuted for £235, and the vicarial for £180. The church is a very ancient structure, and contains many old monuments, among which are some to the Blounts, formerly of Sodington Hall, in the parish, and a handsome monument erected to the late Lieut.-Colonel Greswold, by the officers of the Enniskillen Dragoons, of which he had the command. Sodington Hall was destroyed by fire, in the great civil war, by some troops of the parliament: what remained of it was taken down in the year 1807, when several curious Roman relics were discovered beneath the foundations.