Malvern, Little (St. Giles)
MALVERN, LITTLE (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Upton-upon-Severn, Lower division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Upton and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 5¼ miles (W. by N.) from Upton; containing 103 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the roads from Ledbury to Worcester and Upton, in a district abounding with romantic scenery; and comprises about 1300 acres, of which 200 are arable, 350 rich meadow, and 100 woodland. From the Herefordshire beacon, which is partly in the parish, the prospect extends over the rich plains of Worcester, Gloucester, and Herefordshire, embracing the distant hills in South Wales. There are some remarkably fine oaks, one of which, called St. Benedict's oak, is of most majestic growth. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £53; patron, Earl Somers; impropriator, W. Berington, Esq. The church, which has long been in decay, part of it forming a beautiful and interesting ruin, belonged to a Benedictine priory, a cell to the abbey of Worcester, founded in 1171, in a gloomy cavity near an ancient intrenchment round the base of the Herefordshire beacon, by two brothers, Joceline and Edred, who were successively priors. At the Dissolution, the revenue was valued at £102. 10. 9.; and adjoining the church are some remains of the buildings, converted into a dwelling-house called Malvern Court. There is a Roman Catholic chapel.