MALHAM, a township, in the parish of Kirkby-in-Malham-Dale, union of Settle, W. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 5½ miles (E. by S.) from Settle; containing 233 inhabitants. This township is situated in the fertile vale to which it gives name, and comprises about 3870 acres, principally the property of Lord Ribblesdale, who is lord of the manor. It is chiefly pasture and meadow land, with a substratum of limestone; the herbage is of the finest quality. Calamine and lead are found in the neighbourhood, and mines have been wrought by successive adventurers, but at considerable loss. The scenery is generally of the boldest and most romantic character, finely contrasting with some parts which possess softer features. At the head of the dale is Malham Cove, a gigantic mass of limestone rock nearly 300 feet in height, extending across the valley, and at the foot of which issues a rivulet that, in times of flood, not finding vent for its accumulating waters by its customary subterraneous passage, rises to the summit of this stupendous barrier, and precipitates itself with resistless fury into the vale beneath, forming a truly magnificent cataract. Near the village is Jennet's Cave, a dark and gloomy recess, overhung with ivy; and about a mile to the east is Gordale Scar, a huge cluster of limestone rocks, appearing as if torn asunder in some parts by a great natural convulsion, and projecting several yards over the line of their base. The village is in the most fertile part of the vale. A fair is held for lambs on the 30th of June, and continued on the 1st of July as a pleasure-fair; a fair for sheep is held on the 15th of October. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A free school was founded in 1717, by Rowland Brayshaw, Esq., who endowed it with property now producing £74 per annum.