Malden (St. John)
MALDEN (St. John), a parish, in the union, and Second division of the hundred, of Kingston, E. division of Surrey, 2½ miles (N. by W.) from Ewell; containing 232 inhabitants. At this place was the original establishment of the College of Merton, founded here in 1264, and removed in 1267 to Oxford: the site of the buildings is near the church. The parish comprises 1255a. 1r. 13p., of which 1053 acres are arable, 125 pasture, and 45 wood and common; the surface is varied, and a rapid stream called Hogsmill flows through the lands. Extensive powder-mills have been established. The living is a vicarage, with that of Chessington annexed, valued in the king's books at £8. 5.; net income, £417; patrons and appropriators, the Warden and Scholars of Merton College. The great tithes have been commuted for £240; and the vicarial for £75, with a glebe of 15 acres. The church is a small edifice, for the most part rebuilt in 1610.