Maisemore (St. Giles)
MAISEMORE (St. Giles), a parish, in the Lower division of the hundred of Dudstone and King's-Barton, union, and E. division of the county, of Gloucester, 2¾ miles (N. N. W.) from Gloucester; containing 421 inhabitants. At the time of the Conquest, this place formed part of the parish of St. Mary-de-Lode, in Gloucester, but it was separated at a very early period, though the exact time is not known. The name is derived from Maes, a plain, and Mor, water; terms descriptive of its situation on the banks of the river Severn, which occasionally overflows the adjoining lands. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £89; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol: the tithes were commuted for land in 1793. The church is partly Norman, but principally in the decorated and later English styles.