Magor (St. Mary)
MAGOR (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Newport, division of Christchurch, hundred of Caldicot, county of Monmouth, 8 miles (E. by S.) from Newport; containing, with the chapelry of Redwick, 641 inhabitants, of whom 386 are in Magor township. The parish is bounded on the south by the Bristol Channel, and consists of about 1300 acres of land; the soil is of a sandy and loamy quality, with a basis of limestone. A fair for cattle, &c., is held on the 11th of October. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 1. 0½.; net income, £285; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Beaufort. The church, which exhibits combinations of the early, decorated, and later English styles, is a cruciform structure, with a tower rising from the intersection of the transepts. Near it are the remains of a religious house. There is a place of worship for Baptists.