Machen (St. Michael)
MACHEN (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Newport, partly in the hundred of Wentlloog, county of Monmouth, in England, and partly in the hundred of Caerphilly, county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 5½ miles (W. by N.) from Newport; the English part containing 1371 inhabitants, of whom 803 are in Lower, and 568 in Upper, Machen. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Ebba, and on the south by the Rhymney, and contains by computation 3156 acres, of which 349 are common or waste. The soil is generally gravel, alternated with clay; the surface is hilly. The substratum abounds with coal, ironstone, calamine, and tin; there are extensive quarries of limestone, and a woollen-factory affords employment to a small part of the population. The Monmouthshire canal, and the Rhymney and Tyrhowey railways, afford facility of conveyance to Newport. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 16. 5½., and in the gift of Sir Charles Morgan, Bart.: certain impropriate tithes have been commuted for £14, and the incumbent's for £469. 3. 9.; there is a glebe-house, with about an acre of garden. The church is an ancient structure, of the early English style. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Here are several mineral springs; also the remains of an old building, called "the Castle."