Mablethorpe (St. Mary)
MABLETHORPE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Louth, Marsh division of the hundred of Calceworth, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 7 miles (N. E. by N.) from Alford; containing 261 inhabitants. This place is supposed to have obtained its name from the great number of maple-trees with which it formerly abounded, and the stumps of which are still to be seen at low water. The parish is bounded on the east by the ocean, and comprises by computation 2700 acres of good land. The air is remarkably salubrious; and from its excellent sands, which extend for miles along the beach, the village is resorted to from June to October by numerous visiters, for whose accommodation a spacious hotel has been opened at a short distance from the shore, containing every arrangement for sea-bathing, and also for warm sea-water baths. The living is a rectory, with that of Stane united, valued in the king's books at £17. 10. 2½.; net income, £1000; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Lovick Cooper.