Lythe (St. Oswald)
LYTHE (St. Oswald), a parish, in the union of Whitby, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York; containing, with the townships of Barnby, Borrowby, Ellerby, Hutton-Mulgrave, Mickleby, Newton-Mulgrave, and Ugthorpe, 2080 inhabitants, of whom 1063 are in the township of Lythe, 4 miles (W. N. W.) from Whitby. This parish, which is bounded on the east by the sea, is on the road from Whitby to Guisborough, and comprises 12,070 acres, exclusive of 700 or 800 acres of uninclosed moor. Upwards of onethird of the land is arable, and the rest meadow, pasture, and wood; the surface is undulated, the soil a good sound clay and loam, and the scenery, generally bold, in many parts picturesque and beautiful. The township of Lythe contains 3711 acres. At Kettleness and Sandsend, in the parish, are very considerable alumworks, which have been carried on for more than 200 years, and are now the property of the Marquess of Normanby. The lofty cliff at Kettleness, the base of which was excavated with numerous caves and fissures, became dislocated on the night of December 17th, 1829, when the whole hamlet situated on its summit, glided down towards the sea; the inhabitants were secured by retreating to a ship lying off the coast for a cargo of alum. The village of Lythe is large, well built, and pleasantly situated at the distance of half a mile from the sea. Mulgrave Castle, the magnificent seat of the Marquess of Normanby, stands a little south, and commands extensive views. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 12. 6.; net income, £150; patron and appropriator, the Archbishop of York. The church, though of modern appearance, is an ancient structure; a square tower was added in 1770, and the edifice was re-roofed in 1820: it stands conspicuously on an eminence, and forms a landmark for mariners at sea. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and at Ugthorpe is a Roman Catholic chapel. A parochial school is aided by the Marchioness of Normanby. Peter de Mauley in the reign of Henry III. obtained a weekly market to be held here, and a fair on the eve of the festival of St. Oswald; but both have been long disused.