Lymm (Virgin Mary)
LYMM (Virgin Mary), a parish, in the union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 5½ miles (E. S. E.) from Warrington; containing 2658 inhabitants. It comprises 4083 acres, chiefly of a clayey soil. The Duke of Bridgewater's canal passes through the village. The living is a rectory in medieties, of which that of Lymm with Warburton, valued in the king's books at £11. 0. 7½., is in the patronage of R. E. E. Warburton, Esq., and the other, valued at £11. 0. 5., in the gift of E. Leigh, Esq. The tithes have been commuted for £499. 15., and the glebe comprises 12½ acres. The church is a very ancient structure. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A free school was endowed in 1698, by Sir G. Warburton, and W. Domville, Esq.; the income is £105.