Lyminge (St. Mary and St. Eadburgh)
LYMINGE (St. Mary and St. Eadburgh), a parish, in the union of Elham, hundred of Loningborough, lathe of Shepway, E. division of the county of Kent, 2 miles (S. S. W.) from Elham; containing 941 inhabitants. It comprises 4588a. 2r. 4p., of which about 1713 acres are arable, 1283 pasture, 1049 woodland, and 275 common or waste. A stream rises here which flows in a northern direction, past Elham, and joins the Stour near Stourmouth. The living comprises a sinecure rectory, with the chapelries of Standford and Paddlesworth annexed, valued in the king's books at £21. 10.; and a vicarage, endowed with the small tithes of Lyminge and the chapelries, and rated at £10. 18. 9.; net income of the two, £625; patron, the Rev. Ralph Price. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans. In 1661, Timothy Bedingfield devised some lands for education, producing an annual income of £111. 10. A monastery of the order of St. Benedict existed here, but there are no remains. The ancient Stane-street traces the western boundary of the parish.