LYFORD, a chapelry district, in the parish of West Hanney, union of Abingdon, hundred of Ock, county of Berks, 4 miles (N.) from Wantage; containing 147 inhabitants. It comprises 744 acres by admeasurement; the surface is flat, and the soil in some parts clayey, but in general a deep rich black earth. The living is in the gift of Worcester College, Oxford. The tithes were commuted for land in 1801. An almshouse for ten aged persons was founded and endowed in 1603, by Oliver Ashcombe, Esq., at that time chief proprietor of Lyford.