LYDGATE, an ecclesiastical district, in the parochial chapelry of Saddleworth, parish of Rochdale, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Oldham, and 9 miles (N. E.) from Manchester. It is situated on the Stockton and New-Houses road, and on the line of the Huddersfield and Ashton canal; the surface is very hilly, the soil fertile in the valleys, and the scenery generally bold and romantic. There are numerous quarries of stone. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the spinning of cotton, for which there are several mills in the neighbourhood, and one in the village. The chapel, erected by subscription in 1788, and dedicated to St. Ann, is a plain but substantial building, with a campanile turret: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Rochdale, with a net income of £150.