Lydford, West (St. Mary)
LYDFORD, WEST (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Shepton-Mallet, hundred of Catsash, E. division of Somerset, 5½ miles (W.) from Castle-Cary; containing 368 inhabitants. The parish is watered by the river Brue, and comprises 1802 acres by admeasurement. The manor and estates, with the exception of a few acres, are the property of E. F. Colston, Esq., in whose family they have been for several generations. Fairs are held in May and August. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 13. 4.; net income, £125; patron, Mr. Colston: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1827, and a glebe-house has been erected by the Rev. Dr. Colston. The church, rebuilt at the cost of Mr. Colston, was consecrated in August, 1846. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. There is a fine chalybeate spring called Hunt's Well. The Old Roman Fosse-way passes through the parish.