Lydeard, Bishop's (St. Mary)
LYDEARD, BISHOP'S (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Taunton, W. division of the hundred of Kinsbury and of the county of Somerset, 5 miles (N. W.) from Taunton; containing, with the hamlet of Kenley-Bottom, 1295 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the Minehead and Bridgwater road. Hard red sandstone is quarried; the church was built of it. A fair is held on the 5th of April. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £20. 10.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Wells: the great tithes have been commuted for £730, and the vicarial for £200. In the church are memorials to the families of Grobham and Lethbridge, and a monument to Mary, wife of Dr. Palmer, Warden of All Souls' College, and afterwards wife of Dr. Ralph Bathurst, President of Trinity College, Oxford. In the churchyard is an elegant cross. There is a place of worship for Independents; and a national school is attended by about 100 children An almshouse, built in 1616, and having about £100 per annum, was given by Richard Grobham for aged persons.