Luxulyon (St. Syricus and Julieta)
LUXULYON (St. Syricus and Julieta), a parish, in the union of Bodmin, E. division of the hundred of Powder and of the county of Cornwall, 7 miles (N. E. by N.) from St. Austell: containing 1512 inhabitants. The parish comprises by admeasurement 5354 acres, of which 555 are common or waste; the higher grounds command extensive views of the Channel and St. Blasey bay. Granite is extensively quarried; large quantities were conveyed from this place for completing the breakwater at Plymouth, and for the construction of Cardiff pier. Fairs are held in June and October. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10; patron and impropriator, Sir J. C. Rashleigh, Bart. The great tithes have been commuted for £120, and the vicarial for £230; the glebe contains about 5 acres, with a good house, built by the Rev. R. Gerveys Grylls. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The stannary records were deposited in the turret of the church tower during the parliamentary war. At Rideaux is a Roman encampment.