LUMLEY, GREAT, a township, in the parish and union of Chester-le-Street, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 1½ mile (S. S. E.) from Chester-le-Street; comprising 1321 acres, and containing 1796 inhabitants, who are principally employed in collieries. The village is seated on the east side of the river Wear, and about a mile to the south of Lumley Castle. The impropriate tithes, including those of Little Lumley, have been commuted for £314. 10. Church service is performed every Sunday in a licensed room; and there are two places of worship for Wesleyans. An hospital for twelve persons was founded in 1686, by Sir John Duck, Bart., of Durham, who endowed it with property now producing £40 per annum; and the township is entitled to rents, under the will of Henry Smith, averaging between £40 and £50, which are annually distributed among the poor.