Lullworth, East (St. Andrew)
LULLWORTH, EAST (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Wareham and Purbeck, hundred of Winfrith, Wareham division of Dorset, 6 miles (S. W.) from Wareham; containing 392 inhabitants. This place, at a very early period, was in the possession of the De Lolleworths, and subsequently of the Newburghs, who succeeded to the property in the reign of Edward I.; the lands afterwards came to the Howards, earls of Suffolk, one of whom, in 1588, on the site of an ancient castle, laid the foundation of the present noble castle of Lullworth, which was completed in 1641 by an ancestor of the Weld family. It is said to be from a design by Inigo Jones, and is a massive structure, forming an exact square, the sides of which measure 80 feet, and having at each angle a circular tower 30 feet in diameter. The main entrance, on the east, is approached by a handsome flight of steps, and decorated with the arms of Weld, several fine statues, and two inscriptions commemorating the visits of George III. and his Royal Consort in 1789. This castle, which is situated on an eminence about a mile from the sea, was long the residence of the late Duke of Gloucester, and subsequently of Charles X., on his expulsion from the throne of France. Dr. Weld, the late proprietor, who was raised to the dignity of cardinal in the Church of Rome, received many exiles of the order of La Trappe at the period of the first French Revolution, and appropriated to them a farm, where they formed a religious fraternity, and remained till they were recalled at the general peace by Louis XVIII. The parish comprises 1939 acres, of which 331 are common or waste land. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11. 14. 7.; patron and impropriator, Joseph Weld, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £100, and the vicarial for £80; the vicarial glebe consists of 65 acres. The old church, a spacious and beautiful edifice, was taken down, with the exception of the tower, at the commencement of the present century; and a new church, a much smaller structure, was erected in its stead. Near the castle is a Roman Catholic chapel, fitted up with much taste and magnificence. The sum of £56 per annum, the bequest of Mrs. Dorothy Pickering, is distributed to twelve poor Protestant widows or maidens. Within the parish are many vestiges of antiquity; especially barrows, in which human and other skeletons, rude urns, trinkets, &c., have been found, supposed to be British from the coarseness of the urns, and the absence of all Roman relics. On a lofty hill called Flower's Barrow, is a triple intrenchment denominated the "British Camp."