Lullingstone (St. Botolph)
LULLINGSTONE (St. Botolph), a parish, in the union of Dartford, hundred of Axton, Dartford, and Wilmington, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W. division of Kent, 7 miles (S. E. by E.) from Foot's-Cray; containing 59 inhabitants. It includes the merged parish of Lullingstane, and comprises 1530 acres, of which 200 are in wood. The living is a discharged rectory, with the vicarage of Lullingstane united, valued in the king's books at £7. 16. 8.; net income, £350; patron, Sir P. H. Dyke, Bart. The church, pleasantly situated in the park of Lullingstone Castle, the seat of Sir P. H. Dyke, is a small edifice, of which the nave and chancel are separated by a richly carved screen supporting a rood-loft, in good preservation; the windows exhibit a series of Scriptural representations in beautiful stained glass, and the building contains several fine monuments. The church of Lullingstane is demolished. Roman bricks, coins, and military weapons, with part of a tessellated pavement, have been ploughed up.