Luffenham, North (St. John the Baptist)
LUFFENHAM, NORTH (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Uppingham, hundred of Wrandike, county of Rutland, 6 miles (S. W. by W.) from Stamford; containing 478 inhabitants. It is pleasantly situated on the banks of the small river Chater, and comprises about 1900 acres; the surface is undulated, and the soil somewhat stony, but tolerably productive. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 0. 5.; net income, £624; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The glebe contains about 50 acres. The church is supposed to have been built in the reign of Edward III., and formerly contained a chantry; it was struck by lightning in 1822, and part of the steeple damaged. A national school is supported by funds arising from an estate left by Archdeacon Johnson, formerly rector, and founder of Oakingham and Uppingham grammar schools; a very curious brass monument is erected to his memory in the church.