Luckington (St. Mary)
LUCKINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Malmesbury, hundred of Chippenham, Chippenham and Calne, and N. divisions of Wilts, 7½ miles (W. S. W.) from Malmesbury; containing 329 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1625 acres: stone of good quality is quarried for building and for the roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 7. 8½., and in the gift of the Lords of the manor: the tithes have been commuted for £292. 15., and the glebe comprises 51 acres. The church, a neat structure in the later English style, has been enlarged by the formation of an aisle, and the tower has been raised higher since its original erection. Here is a spring possessing medicinal properties, and in the neighbourhood are some barrows.