Loxton (St. Andrew)
LOXTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Axbridge, hundred of Winterstoke, E. division of Somerset, 3¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Axbridge; containing 168 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 1149 acres, of which 95 are arable, 741 pasture, 94 woodland, and 155 common; the soil is to a considerable extent a strong clay, and the principal article of traffic is Cheddar cheese. The village is situated close to the Mendip range of hills, from which fine views are obtained. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 15. 5., and in the gift of the family of England and the Rev. D. S. Moncriefe, the latter of whom is incumbent: the tithes have been commuted for £183, and the glebe contains 65 acres.