Lowthorp (St. Martin)
LOWTHORP (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Driffield, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of York, 5 miles (E. N. E.) from Driffield; containing 164 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1960 acres. The ancient Hall, the residence of the St. Quintin family, was taken down in 1826. The village, which is small, is to the south of the road from Driffield to Bridlington. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £64; patron and impropriator, W. T. St. Quintin, Esq. In the church was a college, or chantry, for a rector, six chaplains, and three clerks, founded in the reign of Edward III., by Sir John Haselarton. The chancel of the church has long been without a roof, and within its ruinous walls grow two large ash-trees.