Lowick (St. Peter)
LOWICK (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Thrapston, hundred of Huxloe, N. division of the county of Northampton, 2 miles (N. W. by N.) from Thrapston; containing 430 inhabitants, and comprising by admeasurement 1955 acres. Drayton House, here, is a noble specimen of the prevailing style of architecture in the time of Henry VI. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 8. 11½.; net income, £308, with a glebe-house; patrons, the Sackville family: the tithes were commuted for land in 1771. The church is a handsome edifice in the later English style, with a remarkably elegant tower crowned by pinnacles and a large octagonal lantern; the windows exhibit some brilliant specimens of stained glass. There is a splendid monument of richly-carved alabaster, to the memory of Edward Stafford, Earl of Wiltshire; and in the chancel is an elegant monument to Lady Mary Mordaunt, Duchess of Norfolk, afterwards wife of Sir John Germain, Bart., of Drayton House, to whom also the church has a monument of great beauty. Here was a chantry, or college, of Secular priests, in honour of the Blessed Virgin, founded by an ancestor of the above earl, about the time of Edward II., and granted at the Dissolution to Sir Edward Montague. A school was established by Sir John Germain, who endowed it with £50 per annum; and his second wife, Lady Elizabeth, further gave £40 per annum and a school-house.