Lowdham (St. Mary)
LOWDHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Southwell, S. division of the wapentake of Thurgarton and of the county of Nottingham, 7¾ miles (N. E.) from Nottingham; containing, with the townships of Caythorpe and Gunthorpe, 1483 inhabitants, of whom 819 are in the township of Lowdham. A road from Nottingham to Newark passes through the village (which is a polling-place for South Notts); and the hamlet of Gunthorpe is bounded by the navigable river Trent, near which also Caythorpe is situated. Part of the population is employed in the manufacture of stockings. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 18. 4.; net income, £276; patron and impropriator, Earl Manvers. The tithes, with certain exceptions, were commuted for land in 1765; some impropriate tithes have been commuted under the recent act for a rent-charge of £26, and some vicarial for £14: the vicarial glebe consists of about 104 acres. The church is an ancient structure, with a tower and small spire: a gallery was lately added. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans. A national school was built in the year 1844, in the centre of the village.