Loughton (St. John the Baptist)
LOUGHTON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Epping, hundred of Ongar, S. division of Essex, 14 miles (N. E. by N.) from London; containing 1333 inhabitants. The parish contains 4000 acres, of which nearly 'one-half is uninclosed, within Epping Forest, and the remainder is arable and pasture land in nearly equal portions; the surface is varied, and the scenery of pleasing character. Loughton Hall, the residence of Queen Anne when Princess of Denmark, was destroyed by fire in December 1836, after having been completely reinstated by the present owner at a large expense; it was an Elizabethan pile of considerable beauty, and the front and ceiling of the inner hall, and the stone staircase, which were highly admired, were designed by Inigo Jones. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18. 3. 9.; income, £458; patron, W. Whitaker Maitland, Esq. A church dedicated to St. John the Baptist was lately built, in lieu of the old parish church of St. Nicholas. There is a place of worship for Baptists. Almshouses were founded by a bequest of the late lady of the manor, Mrs. Anne Whitaker; and some tenements were purchased a few years since by subscription for the deserving poor.