LOSTOCK, a hamlet, in the parish and union of Bolton, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 4½ miles (W.) from Bolton; containing 625 inhabitants. This place formed part of the barony of Manchester, and was held by Richard de Hulton; it subsequently passed into the family of Anderton, of whom Sir Francis Anderton having been involved in the rebellion of 1745, his estates went to the Blundells of Ince. Lostock Hall, an erection of the age of Elizabeth, has shared the fate of many of the old Lancashire mansions, the greater portion having been taken down between 1816 and 1824; nothing now remains to indicate its site or fix its antiquity, but the venerable gateway. The township is in the south-western part of the parish, and comprises 1364 acres of land. The tithes have been commuted for £2. 13. 6., payable to the Bishop of Chester. A Sunday school is partly supported by an endowment of £8 per annum.