Lopen (All Saints)
LOPEN (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Chard, hundred of South Petherton, W. division of Somerset, 2 miles (S. by W.) from South Petherton; containing 506 inhabitants. The parish is situated at a short distance south of the road from London to Exeter, through Ilchester and Ilminster; and comprises by computation 476 acres, about two-thirds of which are arable, and the remainder pasture and orchard-grounds. The village lies between two hills, gently rising on each side of it, and moderately wooded. The manufacture of coarse linen is carried on to a considerable extent. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £77; patron and impropriator, Earl Poulett, whose tithes have been commuted for £200. The church, which was built before the Reformation, has been frequently repaired, and was enlarged in 1834 by the erection of an aisle.