LOOE, WEST, formerly a representative borough and a market-town, in the parish of Talland, union of Liskeard, hundred of West, E. division of Cornwall, 16 miles (W.) from Plymouth, and 231 (W. S. W.) from London; containing 616 inhabitants. This place, also called Port Pighan, a corruption of Port Vechan, the "Little Port," is situated on the bank of the river Looe, opposite to East Looe, with which it is connected by a bridge. The town is of inconsiderable size. The harbour is small but commodious, and defended by a strong battery; the river is navigable for vessels of 100 tons' burthen, and is in two branches just above the bridge. The pilchardfishery is carried on; and copper-ore is brought hither from the mines of Caraton, to be shipped in small vessels. A cattle-fair is held on May 6th. A charter of incorporation was granted by Elizabeth in 1573, under which the municipal body consists of a mayor and eleven burgesses, who are empowered to choose a steward, with a town-clerk, and other officers; the mayor and steward are justices of the peace. A court leet, with view of frankpledge, is held; and the charter authorises the mayor to hold a court for the recovery of debts under £5, every week, but no proceedings have taken place for many years. There is a small prison, called the Dark house. The borough first sent members to parliament in the 6th of Edward VI., from which period it returned two representatives; but it was disfranchised by the 2nd of William IV., cap. 45. The chapel here, dedicated to St. Nicholas, has been converted into a guildhall. There are places of worship for Independents and Bryanites. In the vicinity of West Looe are the remains of a mound, supposed to have been on the line of a Roman road, and some vestiges of military works.