Longworth (St. Mary)
LONGWORTH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Farringdon, partly in the hundred of Ganfield, and partly in that of Ock, county of Berks, 7 miles (W. N. W.) from Abingdon; containing 1063 inhabitants, of whom 550 are in the township. The parish comprises, with the chapelry of Charney and the hamlet of Draycot-Moore, 4312a. 6p.: the river Isis bounds it on the north; the surface in general is flat, and the soil in some parts sandy, and in others clayey. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £27. 1. 10½.; net income, £682; patrons, the Principal and Fellows of Jesus College, Oxford: the glebe contains about 60 acres. At Charney is a chapel of ease, in the Norman style. In the parochial register is an entry, July 16th, 1625, of the baptism of Bishop Fell, whose father was rector of Longworth.