LONGWOOD, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 2¼ miles (W.) from Huddersfield; containing 2418 inhabitants. The chapelry is situated on the north of the Colne, and comprises about 1000 acres, consisting chiefly of a narrow ridge rising rapidly from the banks of a rivulet. An eminence called Slack, is supposed, from the discovery of a Roman altar dedicated to Fortune, a bath, and hypocaust, with a tessellated pavement nearly a yard in thickness, and other antiquities, to have been connected with the station of Cambodunum, by most antiquaries placed at Almondbury. The soil is generally gravel, with a slight mixture of clay, and fine grit sandstone is abundant. The population is chiefly employed in the manufacture of woollencloth, for which there are several scribbling and fulling mills, and in the making of fancy goods, which is carried on extensively. The village is neatly built, and the surrounding scenery is in some parts boldly romantic: the road from Huddersfield to Manchester passes near, as does the canal from Huddersfield to Ashton. Here is a reservoir of 12 acres, for the supply of Huddersfield with water. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Huddersfield, with a net income of £150. The chapel, now a district church, dedicated to St. Mark, is a small plain edifice with a campanile turret, erected in 1749, by subscription, and containing 420 sittings. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, and Methodists of the New Connexion. A free school was founded and endowed in 1731, by William Walker; the income is about £100.