Longwathby (St. Peter)
LONGWATHBY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 4¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Penrith; containing 273 inhabitants. The parish is separated from that of Edenhall, by the river Eden, over which is a bridge of three lofty arches, built in 1686. It comprises 1987a. 1r. 13p., whereof 844 acres are meadow and pasture, 74 old grassland, 490 arable, 24 wood, and the remainder common and waste. The village is situated on the road from Penrith to Newcastle, viâ Alston-Moor and Hexham. The living is annexed to that of Edenhall; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church was erected by subscription, in 1718, on the site of a more ancient edifice, and was thoroughly repaired in 1835.