LONGSTONE, GREAT, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 3 miles (N. N. W.) from Bakewell; containing 521 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150; patron, the Vicar of Bakewell; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield. The vicarial tithes of Great and Little Longstone were commuted for land in 1810. The chapel, which is dedicated to St. Giles, contains monuments to the family of Eyre, earls of Newburgh. A school is partly supported by an endowment of £20 per annum.