LONGNOR, a parish, in the union of Church-Stretton, hundred of Condover, S. division of Salop, 8 miles (S.) from Shrewsbury; containing 243 inhabitants, and comprising about 800 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy, united to that of Lee-Botwood. The church was a free chapel belonging to the abbey of Haughmond, and was purchased of the crown's vendees soon after the Dissolution, by the then proprietor of Longnor Hall. A school was endowed in 1774, with the interest of £200, by Sir Richard Corbett, Bart., who left other bequests for the benefit of the poor. This is the birthplace of the Rev. Samuel Lee, the eminent selftaught linguist, and professor of Arabic in the University of Cambridge.