Longham (St. Peter)
LONGHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (N. W. by W.) from East Dereham; containing 333 inhabitants. It comprises 1304a. 1r. 23p., of which 1045 acres are arable, 200 pasture, and 34 woodland: 300 acres of common were inclosed in 1814. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £30; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Leicester, whose tithes have been commuted for £285. The church is chiefly in the later English style, with an embattled tower, and contains some remains of a richlycarved screen separating the nave from the chancel. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Some traces of a Roman road exist, in removing part of which, in 1816, numerous skeletons were discovered.