Londesborough (All Saints)
LONDESBOROUGH (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Pocklington, Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 2½ miles (N.) from Market-Weighton; containing 267 inhabitants. Dr. Drake considers this to be the Roman station Delgovitia, Roman coins and other remains having been discovered. The parish comprises 4200 acres, of which about 300 are wood, and 400 comprehended in the park, to which the Roman road from Brough is continued. Londesborough Hall, a large ancient mansion in the form of the letter H, was taken down in 1819, and a neat mansion in the Elizabethan style was built in 1839. The village is picturesquely seated on the western side of the Wolds. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16; net income, £798. The church stands on the verge of the park, and consists of a nave, chancel, and north aisle, with an embattled tower at the west end; the interior is neat, and has a few mural monuments of the Clifford and other families. An hospital for twelve aged bachelors, widowers, or widows, was founded by the first Earl and Countess of Burlington.