Lofthouse, with Carlton
LOFTHOUSE, with Carlton, a township, in the parish of Rothwell, Lower division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 3½ miles (N.) from Wakefield; containing 1536 inhabitants. This township, which includes the manors and villages of Lofthouse and Carlton, comprises by computation 1810 acres: the soil is generally fertile, the commons having been inclosed under an act of parliament obtained in 1836; the substrata are chiefly coal and freestone, of excellent quality. The village of Lofthouse is situated on the road from Leeds to Wakefield, along which it stretches for a considerable length; and about a mile to the north-east of it, is the village of Carlton, many of the inhabitants of which are employed in the rope manufacture. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £277, and the vicarial for £168. A church dedicated to Christ was erected at Lofthouse, in 1840, at an expense of £1050, of which £250 were granted by the Ripon Diocesan, and £100 by the Incorporated, Society; it is a handsome structure in the early English style, and contains 392 sittings, of which 294 are free. A parsonage house, also, was erected in 1842, at a cost of £600, of which one moiety was paid by the Ripon Society; the sites for the chapel and house were given by Miss Harrison. The living is in the gift of the Vicar of Rothwell; net income, £120. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.