Loders (St. Mary Magdalene)
LODERS (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Bridport, liberty of Loders and Bothenhampton, Bridport division of Dorset, 2½ miles (N. E.) from Bridport; containing 952 inhabitants. The parish is on the road from London to Exeter, and comprises by measurement 2305 acres, of which 1114 are arable, 1056 pasture, and 134 woodland; the greater portion is beautifully situated in a fertile vale, sheltered by hills. There are some quarries of stone, which is of good quality for building, and is also used for the roads; and about 100 persons are employed in the making of twine. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £14. 5. 7½., and in the alternate patronage of the Crown, and Sir Molyneux Hyde Nepean, Bart.; net income, £235. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a low massive tower, and contains numerous interesting details. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. An alien priory, subordinate to the abbey of Montsburgh, in Normandy, was suppressed here in the reign of Richard II., when its revenue, valued at £80, was bestowed on the priory of St. Anne, near Coventry: it was restored to its ancient owners in the reign of Henry IV., and, after its dissolution by Henry V., formed part of the endowment of Sion Abbey, in the county of Middlesex.