Lockington (St. Mary)
LOCKINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Beverley, Bainton-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 6½ miles (N. N. W.) from Beverley; containing, with part of the township of Aike, 433 inhabitants, of whom 394 are in that part of Lockington township which is in the parish of Lockington. The parish comprises by computation nearly 3000 acres; it is partly arable, and partly old pasture, much of it of inferior quality, and about 100 acres are woodland. The village, which is considerable, is seated in the vale of a small rivulet, about a mile west of the Beverley and Driffield road. The Lockington-Car canal, formed by the Hotham family, is two miles long, and joins the river Hull. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20; net income, £532; patron, James Walker, Esq.: the tithes for the township of Lockington were commuted for land and a money payment in 1771. The church is a neat edifice, with a small brick tower, and contains monuments to the Constable, Meriton, and other families. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. About three miles east of the village, is a large artificial mound, called Barrow Hill, formerly surrounded by a moat.