Llanwenarth (St. Peter)
LLANWENARTH (St. Peter), a parish, in the union, division, and hundred of Abergavenny, county of Monmouth, 2¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Abergavenny; containing 2582 inhabitants, of whom 256 are in the Citra, and 2326 in the Ultra, division. The parish comprises 3300 acres, of which 800 are common or waste. It is situated in the north-western part of the county; and includes the Sugar-loaf, rising to an elevation of 1852 feet, the Craig, and other hills, forming conspicuous objects at a considerable distance, and in several parts of the principality of Wales. The river Usk, the roads from Brecon to Merthyr-Tydvil, and the Brecon and Monmouthshire canal, intersect the parish. At Carn-y-Denis, coal and iron works have been established. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £26. 6. 3.; patron, the Earl of Abergavenny: the tithes for Llanwenarth Citra have been commuted for £460, and the glebe consists of 45 acres. The church exhibits many indications of great antiquity. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans.